In my last post I mentioned starting the search for a cover artist. However, in the end, I decided I would rather DIY.
So, rather than searching for a cover artist, I went in search of some stock photos.
I chose IStock (https://www.istockphoto.com/au) for my images, as there is a large vairety of unique photos at pretty good prices.
For under $50 I managed to get some very nice pictures to work with, and then I cranked out Photoshop and got to work.
Before I started on my actual cover, I got the watermarked versions and put them together to see how it would look. Once I was happy with the result, I pruchased the images and set to work on the good copy.
Given, I haven’t photoshopped anything since high school, but it was relatively easy to get back into it. I had to check online the ideal size for an ebook cover, and although they vary depending on the site, I ended up going with something close to 1600 x 2400 pixels. A few pixels either way won’t make a difference.
While I haven’t finished yet, the whole process has been much less stressful than finding a cover artist, and cheaper as well. Plus, I get to design the cover exactly how I want (and run it past some friends for creative feedback).
Publishing time is drawing near.